Sunday, November 18, 2012

Liebster: Like Lobster, but Without Butter

Allison, over at Allison the Meep nominated me for a Liebster award.  Which is not something that comes on a roll with mayo, because that chick is so gluten free that her head would spin if you brought a bread product near her face.  What it is, however, is an award for wonderful, but lesser-known blogs of the big blogging world.  It made me smile, because my tiny corner of the internet makes me very happy but apparently also entertains a few others as well!  So I'm gonna answer my given eleven questions, and then nominate eleven five other blogs (I am sorry to say, I simply do not know 11 bloggers well enough to nominate them for this), and give them eleven questions to answer as well.  Read on.

1. What book(s) are you currently reading?
Usually (and most depressingly), my Med/Surg textbook, as discussed here.  But now that I am on break (italics are necessary because it is still so shocking that I am still very excited), I am attempting to finish The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss, a novel that I have been working on since August.  Yes, August.

2. If eating a cockroach guaranteed you and your family financial security for the rest of your lives, would you do it?
Abso-fucking-lutely.  I'm sorry, but would anyone NOT do this?  I am going to be delivering babies from my wheelchair in the senior center in order to pay off my Yale loans, you better believe I'd house some crunchy suckers in order to wipe that clean.

3. Do you have any phobias?
Phobias, no.  Fears, yes.  I'm scared of the open ocean, and sometimes heights make me queasy, but I don't rearrange my life to avoid these things.

4. If you could possess one super power, what would it be?
I used to think I'd want to be invisible, but is there anything worse than feeling like you're invisible in a room full of people normally?  Why would I want to perpetuate that feeling?  Unconventional, perhaps, but I would love to be able to function and thrive on four hours of sleep a night.  I'd sleep from 2 AM to 6 AM, and I'd be golden.  I'd get so much studying done!  It'd be awesome.

5. What is your favorite food?
Let's do this systematically.  Sweet: rhubarb pie.  Savory: cheese.  Plant-like material: tomatoes, raspberries, mangoes, avocados, brussel sprouts, butternut squash, and radishes (right?  Obviously with the radishes).

6. What do you like best about yourself?
When I go to read this question, my brain makes a farting sound.  It wants to say, "Thbpppbth...NOTHING!"  Not true, I tell Brain.  I like my nose.  It's cute.  I also like my hair.  I used to hate it, but age has improved it.  It's long, and blonde, and I've never dyed it, and it's wavy and hippie and swings around my shoulders and gets gnarly when it's a little dirty.  Also, I'm kind.  Not perfectly, and not without faults and missteps, but I am kind, and compassionate, and can be fiercely protective.  See what I did there, Brain?  Shut your pie hole.

7. Do you give money to homeless people when they ask? Why or why not?
Only once.  To a man in the subway station I passed through every day, I saw him, his sign had only one word on it: AIDS.  I put a $20 bill in his cup.  The reason I don't usually give money is because I used to volunteer in a homeless shelter, and I heard firsthand what most people do with the money they panhandle for.  It wasn't pretty.  I'd rather volunteer.  Or if I have extra food, I'll always ask if they're hungry, if they'd like an untouched sandwich or a fresh piece of fruit.

8. If money was not an issue and all of your basic needs were taken care of, what would you do with your life?
This question makes me happy, because truly, truly all those things being taken care of - I'd still want to deliver babies.  I'd love to be able to do it for free, of course, but no such luck, future clients of mine.  Maybe I'd love to work a little less and have a few more babies of my own, but hey.  If it's not one thing, it's another, right?

9. When do you feel the most clarity?
About mile five of a run.  Everything has (mostly) stopped hurting at that point, and the mind clouds drift away.  I would run forever, if I could just stay right there.

10. There are 3 contestants, and only one can win: cake, pie, or cookies?
This is not even a question.  Pie.  Made by me.  I am cocky about my pie skills.  Yes, yes I am.

11. Squirrels: Love or hate?
Are squirrels like a thing?  Do people love them or hate them?  I find them mildly irritating.  Get out of the road!  Stop taunting my dog!  That kinda thing.  I reserve hate for things like when people touch my belly button.  Now THAT is something to get fired up about.


* * *

Nominations

* * *

Their questions, should they choose to accept them:
1.  What is the correct way to pronounce Nutella?  (NEW-tella, or NUH-tella??)
2.  How do you sign off on emails?
3.  When is the last time you were proud of yourself?
4.  Do you ever talk to yourself?
5.  What do you eat for breakfast most days?
6.  How does it make you feel when someone tells you that you're beautiful?
7.  You don't need to elaborate on who you would say this to, but what's one thing you need to say, and haven't yet (or never will)?
8.  Tell me a memory that involves crazy weather.
9.  Which is better, mechanical pencils or good old-fashioned No. 2's?
10.  Should clean underwear be folded?
11.  What do you do when you can't fall asleep?

No comments: