Thursday, January 27, 2011

When You're Happy and You Know It...

Sometimes (ok, lots of the time), I ruminate. I obsess over small details, mulling over things that make me anxious, distraught, embarrassed, or just plain sad. A lot of this is biological and is something I've come to terms with over the last few years, but I still think it's worth it to do everything I can to combat these tendencies. One of the best ways I've found is to think about everything that is making me happy at this precise moment. It helps me to get myself back to sleep at night when I wake up in a blind panic about...nothing. So, for your enjoyment, here's the current list:

1. My monkey munchkin punkin pie little dude is crawling! Not very fast, and not very far, but man, he is moving like a champ. At least on carpet. On hard wood, we are back to the scootch and slide, but on firmer ground, he is a determined little boy. Solidly and slowly planting one hand, then one knee, then the other hand, then the other knee...then repeat. Slowly. And he's off! It makes me so proud that I jump around singing dumb songs that sound a lot like, "Heyyy nah nah nah, my munchkin man can craaaawwwlllll oh yeah hey nah nah nah nahhhh." He likes to either ignore me since he's probably crawling with fierce determination towards some enticing toy that I've placed out of reach, or sometimes look up at me and sound an approving "Gah."

2. I got a half day of work today, since my boss couldn't make it all the way to work due to the snow and decided to come home and study instead. I was home by 1 PM and Alix and I got to spend the afternoon and evening together for the first time in I don't know how long. We spent it getting...

3. New workout clothes! In honor of our new gym memberships, we decided to trek to TJ Maxx to find discount name-brand workout clothes and our efforts were rewarded. We walked out with multiple sports bras, tops, and a few bottoms to fuel our gym excitement and keep us from stinking up the gym by wearing the same stuff day after day. (So sue us, we only do laundry every two weeks, if that.)

4. Despite not feeling up to it, we made it to the gym tonight and took a new class with a new(ish) friend - someone I work with at the bakery. It was great getting to spend some time with her outside of work and the class was my favorite one so far. Not too crowded, a great instructor, and it totally kicked my butt. My goals since joining the gym have become less about changing how I look and more about changing my physical capabilities which I think is a good mental switch.

5. Finally, tomorrow is Friday. It's pay-day. I'm excited to wear more of my new stuff to the gym after I get out of work. Then Alix and I will have smoothies for dinner and go to sleep early. Maybe it sounds boring to y'all, but I can't think of anything better.

See, life really is pretty good, once you think about it. Stay warm everyone <3

No comments: