Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Looking Back...But Moving On

As the new year begins, I'm at a loss for a resolution. I'm on the fence as to whether having a New Year's resolution is even a good idea to begin with, but regardless, I'm still trying to think of one. Getting fit, eating healthy, losing weight - those goals are already in progress and I have no intention of stopping them. The best that I've come up with so far is that I resolve to be more grateful, to be more patient (mostly with myself), and to keep going with the aforementioned health goals even when they seem impossible. Lofty, I know. But in an effort to begin:
1. I'm grateful for a day off today.
2. I need to be patient about the fact that it's not going to take a week/two weeks/a month to reach my health goals.
3. I started making healthy smoothies a few days ago (with my awesome immersion blender) and am now addicted. I drink them as a meal (usually breakfast) and they're super easy to make. My favorite combination so far is this:

1/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1/3 cup frozen blueberries
1/3 cup almond milk
1 banana
1 TB honey

It's extremely low in fat, high in protein, and comes in at 236 calories. And, oh yeah, it's absolutely delicious. So delicious, in fact, that I couldn't take a picture until I had already had a few sips. So sorry about the sub-par photo.

After finishing The 30 Day Shred workout, I can definitely see more ab, arm, and quad definition. I also lost 4-5 pounds, and I am much, much fitter than when I began. Two days ago Alix and I started our new six week program - Cardio Max plus Power Sculpt. The first 1-2 weeks of cardio workouts begin with a five minute warm-up, then a 20 minute session, followed by a five minute stretch/cool-down. Weeks 3-4 add another ten minutes of cardio, and weeks 5-6 add yet another ten minutes. The sculpt sessions are meant to be done on alternating days with the cardio workouts (so you're doing each one 4ish times per week) and include more toning exercises with little to no cardio. Alix and I did the first session of each and looked at each other afterward, our expressions both clearly reading, "Um, is that it?" Apparently, we have Jillian to thank for getting us into good enough shape that the starter workouts are way easier than we expected. So the executive decision that was reached was that we will continue with level 1 of the cardio (we were actually sore the next day, and yes, it still gets our hearts pumping and the sweat pouring) but we will definitely move up to level 2 of the sculpt sessions.

And for your enjoyment, some pictures from the Christmas holidays...
Tucker was too busy opening presents to look at the camera
Cooking healthy, even at home
Today marks 18 months of joy

No comments: