Saturday, March 10, 2012

Happy Birthday, Hal!


A year ago, yesterday, in a what-the-hell moment of desperation and inspiration, I sent an email out into the universe.  I sent it to the writer of a blog about being a nanny that I had been obsessively reading for weeks during Monkey's naps while I slowly went more and more stir-crazy and desperate to find some level of commiseration with anyone who could understand what it was like to be a full-time nanny.  I had Googled "nanny blogs" and after a few hits and misses, I landed on this girl.  After reading her entire blog's archive, I sent her a note basically saying, "Hi, I'm a nanny too and you seem cool and can we be friends?"  It's still a mystery to me why she replied to such a desperate, weird, stalker-ish email, but thank god she did, because if she didn't, I'd be out one hell of a best friend.  Who's birthday - by the way - is TODAY.  Oh yeah.  She's the big two-three today (which, by the way, is a pretty unremarkable birthday in our society, unfortunately) and I have already solidified my place in her heart by making her banana pecan pancakes in the shapes of farm animals.  Oh yeah - I am that good.  And she is the only person for whom I'd ever put that much effort into making pancakes (except for maybe my future children).  Now, in keeping with the - albeit, brief - tradition she and I have of embarrassing each other stupendously on our birthdays, here is a vlog for your viewing pleasure.  Here is The Nanny, in all her twenty-three-year-old glory:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely adorable!

Ashley