Thursday, November 25, 2010

Saying Thank You

There are a lot of things in life that are hard and get us down - things like not having enough money, working super long hours, feeling lonely, realizing how tough a relationship can be, and feeling like everything is one step forward and two steps back (i.e., our dog is apparently un-housetrained again). But you know what? There is a hell of a lot more to life that is - excuse the expression - Fucking Amazing. This is not a huge revelation that everyone stops to think about what they're thankful for on Thanksgiving, but it's a valuable exercise and one I'm not about to abandon even though I'm not at home, going around the table and each of us saying what we're grateful for before the first bite of turkey may be taken. What follows is a brief list of the things, both big and small, that we are grateful for this year.

Our dog and cat, however annoying and frustrating they can be. They make us laugh and they bring us unspeakable joy.

Our new apartment, shortcomings and all. It is home, and will be, for a long time.

Our health, imperfect as it is. We are lucky to have the care we need and the privilege to attain it.

Books, books, and more books! The time to read them, now that college is over.

Boots. Because I love them and they keep my toes warm in this NY weather

Flannel sheets. 'Nuff said.

My jobs - both of them. I love my little guy and I love my new friends at the bakery. I also love the cookies and scones at the bakery job but I may love them a little too much.

All of the opportunities we've been given to further our education.

Our lives that have thus far been filled with so much love and will only be filled with more and more.

Cookbooks. Particularly Vegan Planet, my new current favorite from which most of our recipes are coming.

Each other (duh). There is nothing about my life that would be the same without Alix. She is the reason I am a better person now, the reason I have faith in life and love after losing both for so long, and the best part of my future. I love her, and even though she knows it, now you all know it too. Go crazy with it.

"Love wasn't a thing you fell in, but rose to. It was what stopped you from falling." -Darin Strauss

No comments: